A short update about the movies seen today (or yesterday by now):
- Veere: A Dutch short. Nice pictures, but it couldn’t grab me, like some of the Thai shorts yesterday.
- Hotel: The movies has a lot of suspense, the script and the plot are nice. To bad the suspense is all it’s got. The characters are not deepened, the suspense is not played to a climax.
- Z Channel A magnificient obsession: An interesting documentary about Jerry Harvey, the programmer of Z Channel, a legendary Californian cable channel. The movie contains a lot of short fragments from a large variety of movies, from Novacento to Das Boot. Z Channel played an important role in broadening the horizon of Hollywood and the US to movies from Europe and Asia. Worthwhile seeing for all those who are interested in cinema beyond blockbusters.
- Survive Style 5+: An outrageous movie. The first hour is terrific, whith fantastic art direction on which Abba would be jealous. Also very good camerawork, with wonderfull shots in it. The story is difficult to tell, as the movie contains several story lines which are mingled during the movie.
- The Rock Music: Strange Russian (?) short about rock music. Funny though.
- Bed Stories: Seven stories told in different beds, but at the end they are all connected. I’m glad I saw a Russian movie I did like this year.
- Forgiveness: See my post about the movie.