We, the undersigned,In recognition of the five million people who signed the ‘Moratorium 2000’ petition launched by the Community of Sant’Egidio and Amnesty International,
Renew the call for a worldwide moratorium on executions and an end to capital punishment in the belief that the death penalty:
- Violates the universally affirmed right to life ;
- Constitutes the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment ;
- Constantly risks the irreversible error of the execution of an innocent person ;
- Provides no added value to the deterrence of crime ;
- Brutalises those societies that employ state sanctioned judicial killing.
We welcome the strong progress already made towards a global end to capital punishment and acknowledge that 130 nations have abolished the death penalty in law or practice.We invite all governments to work for a world free of executions as a contribution to the enhancement of human dignity and the progressive development of human rights. We call upon the member states of the UN General Assembly to overwhelmingly vote in favour of an international moratorium on executions.